Blue4Ever

venerdì 9 luglio 2010

Interview with gaydarnation!

The luscious Lee Ryan confesses all about going solo and how his new single ‘I Am Who I Am’ relates to the gay community.

Firstly - given the title of your upcoming album Confessions - tell us something about yourself that you haven’t told another interviewer...

Mmm, god, that’s a difficult one - I’m pretty open. I don’t like salt. I really don’t like salt and vinegar crisps or anything like that or if I get chips and they smother them in salt it makes me sick. Anything really salty I’m not into, though I do like savoury foods in general.

Tell us a bit about the new single ‘I Am Who I Am’ – what can we expect?
The single ‘I Am Who I Am’ is a song written by Jamie Hartman from Ben’s Brother. It was originally on his album but I recorded it about four years ago before he put it on his album. When I heard it I related it to it completely and I think a lot of people really relate to this song, particularly the gay community.

Is the single representative of the album Confessions as a whole?

I think that 'I Am Who I Am' is definitely the backbone of the album if I could put it like that. I think it sets the standard of what I want to say.

Are there any particular moments or tracks on the album that resonate with you in a special way?

There are a few songs on the album that are really, really close to me. There is one called ‘Lonely Traveller's Tear’ that I love and which I wrote that is really close to me. There’s one called ‘Miscommunication of the Heart’ that is very close to me.

I’d say all of it really means something to me and that’s the reason I’ve written it. They’ve all got a special meaning to me and there are some songs that are more personal than others but pretty much every single one of them have something about me.

What was the album like to record?
The album took four to five years to record and has been an amazing journey. A hard journey. There’s been a lot of anguish and a lot of angst to get it out there, but I worked hard and I think it proves that persistence works.

It’s your second solo album – what is it about working alone that you like so much?
I don’t absolutely love working on my own. I love the boys and I can’t wait to be back with the boys from Blue. It’s going to be fun. I just think as a solo artist you get to express yourself more and get to say something you’ve never said before. I think this is my chance to really say what I mean.


It’s been almost 10 years since Blue first formed. After that many years in the music industry, what advice would you give to yourself just starting out?

I’d say, I don’t know, I was always pretty driven as a kid but if I could give myself any advice I’d say think before you speak, but then again I could give myself that advice today let alone 10 years ago.

So, do you hit the gay clubs much on a night out?
I’ve been to loads of gay clubs as I have lots of gay friends and I love gay clubs - they’re really fun and the people are really cool. Everyone’s always up for a laugh.

Finish the sentence: A good night out starts with...
A couple of shots!

It ends with...
Those couple of shots coming back out. [Laughs].

Do you have a funny tour story to share with us?

The book's coming out soon, £13.99, check it out!

What comes first for you – sex or love?
Definitely love.

What makes you happy?
Sex.

What makes you angry?
I don’t like watching the news, it makes me angry.

If we were to buy you a drink at the bar, what would you ask for?
I’d ask for a vodka and tonic with lemon or a dirty martini.

Anything to add?
Thanks GaydarNation.


0 commenti:

Posta un commento